Monday, March 18, 2013

"I want to be a Stay-At-Home-Dad"

I'm pretty sure I am not the only wife & mother who has heard their husband utter this sentance. Mine utters this more then I would like to hear.

A long long time ago, when P and I were dating I told him that if I could be a SAHM, I wanted to be. That I never really wanted to do anything or be anything other then a Mom. I'm good at being home and getting things done, and I'm good at taking care of my child. I love it and I feel like it's been my calling from the beginning to be Evelyn's Mom. Some people want to work, but I don't. Its my choice. So since I had Ev I haven't worked. I've loved it.

The other night P and I were in bed talking and saw a man on House Hunters who was a Stay-At-Home Dad. Then P uttered the words "I want to be a stay-at-home Dad"....and I looked at him and said..."No you don't!"

Now hear me out, my husband is a wonderful father, BUT! He can't change a poopy diaper with out gagging through out the process of cleaning Evelyn's butt. He is to the point of throwing up. Usually I am the only changing the diapers and every once in a while I can get him to change a diaper. Oh yes, he's gotten to the point were he won't change even one diaper. I think he averages on maybe 1 to 2 diapers a week that he changes. P also doesn't like to clean. Even helping me on weekends is a fight. He is mad that he is helping me fold laundry, he's mad that I want to move furniture and vacuum under the couch.

So after I told P that he didn't want to be a SAHD, he looked me and said that I make it so easy, and I make it seem like I dont have to do anything....yeah well I'm good at it! (just kidding!)

Being a SAHM is no freaking joke! Yeah, when Evelyn was a newborn, it was pretty easy. I would put her in a crib, do the cleaning, take a nap, watch a little TV. That is after I moved from Utah back to Kansas and set the house up (with help from my parents) then was alone for a month before he even came home from Iraq. Super simple! But ya it was much simpler when Evelyn was immoblie. Then it was all about getting Evelyn to crawl, then moving across the country, then her becoming moblie! Now she's a running, screaming, walking and hitting toddler! Not so simple anymore.

I wake up and I am cleaning, picking up the house, taking care of Ev, cleaning up her messes, then cleaning up P's messes, and so on and so forth. While I dont mind it very much, P would have a fit if I left my clothes all over and he was the one to have to pick them up.

Really what P want's is to sit in front of the TV and be left alone....hey what do you know?! I sometimes just want to go shopping by myself!...its not a perfect world.

Being a SAHM is alot of work. So those who think it's super simple, dont get it twisted. Most of us fake it pretty good. At least your probably (and hopefully) getting a shower every day that is not interupted by a child screaming at the door. But I wouldn't trade this for anything! I love all the time I get with Evelyn, and even though sometimes I can get a little overwhelmed, I wouldn't have it any other way!

4 comments:

Jen said...

My BIL is a stay at home and I am surprised he does it so well. My sister stayed home with their kids for the first 6 years of their married because he had a job that traveled a lot. It definitely isn't for everyone that's for sure.

Unknown said...

I'm not a mom, so I could never imagine doing it. My sisters both have 3 kids a piece. One is a SAHM and she always seems tired. It is a calling and I think we all know what we want. It is not for everyone. I have a friend who is a SAHD and it really works for them.
Happy Monday!
Laurie
Lulu and Daisy

Chantal said...

Yeah haha. Brandon says he would want to do it too. Yeah, right...

Our Family of Four said...

Ahh that drives me crazy more then anything! Mike always does the whole "Uhh well you didn't have to go to work alll day or do PT." Um, do you want to hear everything I did today??? That will change your mind real quick, hubby. Haha. Geeee.

Post a Comment

I <3 to read your comments!

 
Content Copyright Missus Elle | Design Copyright Poppiness Designs